Heart "Beeting" Valentine's Day Recipes
By Chef Saul Bolton
From tip to root, beets are completely edible, making them one of the most versatile winter foods.
Rich in antioxidants, sweet flavors and beautiful red hues, nothing says “I Love You” more than a delicious Beet-inspired dish for Valentine’s Day.
6 slices of Danish Rye Bread, 1/4 inch slices
2 cups full fat ricotta, whipped till smooth
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 cup chives, chopped
1 tbsp tarragon, chopped
3 large roasted yellow beets, halved & sliced into 1/8 inch half moons
1 medium candy cane beet, raw, julienned
1 medium red beet, raw, julienned
White balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup Italian parsley leaves, whole
1. Combine the whipped ricotta, lemon zest, orange zest, chives, tarragon,
olive oil, and salt. If desired add some lemon juice.
2. Spread the ricotta mixture evenly on the 6 slices of rye bread.
Season the sliced yellow beets with olive oil and salt and divide among
prepared slices of rye bread.
3. Dress the julienned candy cane and red beets separately with white
balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. Garnish each sandwich with tufts of dressed candy cane and red beets. Then garnish with parsley leaves. Serve immediately.
12 oz. aborio rice
1 cup of shallots, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 cup white wine
3 cups of lean chopped beet greens
1 cup of beet stems, chopped
2 cups of roasted beets, small dice
1/2 cup of sweet gorgonzola
1/2 cup pecorino romano
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
3 quarts of veggie stock, simmered
Olive oil as needed
Salt, black pepper, and chili flake to taste
1. Heat a medium sized sauce pan over low fire. Add ¼ cup olive oil, garlic and shallots to pan. Sweat until soft and sweet.
2. Add the Arborio rice & beet stems and stir to coat the grains of rice. Add white wine and cook until it is absorbed.
3. Now begin adding the simmering vegetable stock. Add 2 cups at a time. Season with salt, pepper, & chili flakes. Now add the roasted diced beets. Continue to cook.
4. When the risotto is al dente add the beet greens, fresh thyme & gorgonzola dulce. Stir well taste for seasoning. Ladle into warm bowls. Top with grated Pecorino and fresh ground black pepper.
Winter Beet Soup
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 pounds red beets, scrubbed clean, not peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces; reserve beet greens and stalks reserved beet greens and stalks, washed and sliced into 1-inch pieces
6 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 tbsp coconut oil
2 limes, juiced
8 cups water
1/2 cup unfiltered apple cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tbsp chili flakes
1. Heat coconut oil in large sauce pot, add garlic and sauté until light brown. Add the celery and beets and cook for 4 minutes, stirring well as they cook. Add chili flakes and season with sea salt.
2. Add water and vinegar, then season to taste. Simmer until the beets are almost tender.
3. Add beet greens and cook for 1 minute, then add cilantro and lime juice. Taste for seasoning and serve when ready.